Travelling Advice & AHC

Animal Health Certificates & Export Health Certificates

You are no longer able to use a Pet Passport, when you are travelling from Great Britain to a EU country of Northern Ireland.

Although, you may still be able to use a Pet Passport, if it has been issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland, please see the additional guidance below

We are able to offer an AHC (Animal Health Certificate) or EHC (Export Health Certificate), when you are travelling with your pet from Great Britain to either, Norther Ireland or an EU Country.

Please phone to speak to our receptionist for more information.

Travelling into an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain

When you are travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet will require:

  • A Microchip
  • A Valid Rabies Vaccination. (this should be given 21 days before certification and when your pet is 12 weeks old.)
  • An AHC/EHC (Unless you have pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland to be obtained no more than 10 days before travel)
  • Tapeworm Treatment (this only applys to dogs who are travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland or Malta)

You will need to go through a Traveller’ Point of Entry, when you arrive in an EU Country or Norther Ireland. A list of these can be found here:

Always check the rules of the country you are travelling to or through for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel – it is your responsibility to check the current rules for travel and arrange the appropriate documents.

For Repeat trips to an EU Country or Northern Ireland, your pet will require:

  • A New AHC / EHC
    (This is for every trip to an EU Country or Norther Ireland)
  • Repeat Rabies Vaccination (If their vaccination is not up to date)

How to Apply

To apply for an Animal Health Certificate you will need to ring reception to book an appointment with one of our Official Veterinarian’s to complete an AHC.

The certificate will be specific to the country you are entering the EU through, but then it can be used for onwards travel, once you have entered an EU Country.

Please remember the certificate will only be vailed 10 days before travel, so please do give us as much notice as possible when you book the appointment.

We cannot guarentee last minute appointments for an AHC/EHC, this is due to the time required and only an Offical Veterinarian can complete the paperwork.

We will request you to send all the required information about your pet and the travel in advance of your appointment. When booking the appointment, please confirm which country you will be first to enter when travelling to the EU.

When you come to the appointment, you must bring proof of your pet’s Microchipping date and Rabies Vaccination History.

Your pet’s Animal Health Certificate will be valid after the date issue for:

  • 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland
  • 4 months for onward travel within the EU.
  • 4 months for re-entry to Great Britain.

Your pet will need a new AHC / EHC for each trip to an EU Country or Nothern Ireland from Great Britain.

Please feel free to contact reception for an estimated cost regarding your pets Animal Health Certificate.

Travelling into Great Britain with your pet

An EU pet passport issued in a member state is still valid to enter GB. Before they enter GB, all pets must be:

  • Microchipped
  • Vaccinated against Rabies (must be 12 weeks old before vaccination)

Travellers from the EU, will have to wait 21 days after the first vaccination before travelling into Great Britain.

(Not a requirment for Boosters, as long as it is done before the due date)

Travel from countries not free from tapeworm
(Echinococcus multilocularis)

Unless you are entering Great Britain directly from Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, or Malta, you’ll need to take your dog to a vet for an approved tapeworm treatment.

You must do this no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering GB.

Pet travel documents

You must have one of the following documents, when you are entering or returning to GB.

  • An EU Pet Passport (Issued in the EU or another Part 1 Listed Third Country)
  • Animal Health Certificate issued in GB used to travel to EU (which you can use to re-enter GB for up to 4 months after issue date)
  • A GB Pet Health Certificate (For travel into GB only)

Check routes and travel companies

Please remember to check the routes before you travel. You must travel using approved routes only. Check the routes before you travel.

Your pet’s documents and microchip will be checked when entering GB.

Owners of assistance dogs returning to GB do not have to travel on approved routes. You must notify the point of entry in advance that you’re travelling with an assistance dog to ensure the appropriate checks are done.

EU residents travelling to and from the UK

If your pet has an EU passport and their rabies booster is due close to the period of travel, please have the rabies vaccination done in your EU country of residence before travel.

UK vets are no longer authorised to complete rabies vaccination details in an EU passport.

Help and support

You can contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) if you’ve got questions or need more information.

If you’re travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland – Contact the Pet Travel Scheme helpline if you need more information about pet travel.

Pet Travel Scheme helpline: [email protected] / Telephone: 0370 241 1710 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country – Contact APHA if you need more information about pet travel to a non-EU country.

Animal and Plant Health Agency: [email protected] / Telephone: 03000 200 301 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm)

If you have questions specific to Northern Ireland: Tel: 028 77 442141 / E-mail: [email protected]

Trade Section
Veterinary Service Animal Health Group
1st Floor, Ballykelly House
111 Ballykelly Road
Ballykelly, Limavady
BT49 9HP


Please read our full guidance before arranging travel with your pet.

Further guidance is available from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-and-from-great-britain.

The main change for pet travel out of GB is that UK pet passports are no longer valid for travel into the EU. An Animal Health Certificate is now required for each trip to the EU, unless your animal already has a valid non-UK EU passport, issued in an EU country.

Summary of requirements for travel from GB to the EU or NI:

  • Microchip
  • Rabies vaccination (at least 21 days before travel/certification, and when the pet was at least 12 weeks of age)
  • AHC (Animal Health Certificate) no more than 10 days before travel
    • Or a valid non-UK EU passport
  • Tapeworm treatment if travelling to Finland, Northern Ireland, Ireland or Malta (to be given and certified by a veterinarian 24-120 hours before entry to EU/NI)
  • Entry must be through a Traveller’s Point of Entry

Travelling back to GB:

  • Microchip
  • Rabies vaccination (at least 21 days before travel/certification, and when the pet was at least 12 weeks of age)
  • AHC that was used to exit GB can be used to come back within 4 months
    • Or UK passport supplied before 31/12/2020
    • Or EU passport issued in the EU
  • Tapeworm treatment unless travelling from Finland, Northern Ireland, Ireland or Malta (to be given and certified in the original AHC or the valid passport by a veterinarian 24-120 hours before entry to GB)
  • You must enter GB via an Approved Route (except for assistance dogs)

Please remember, it is the responsibility of the owner (or person(s) transporting the pets) to know the requirements of travel for all countries travelled to and through, not your veterinary practice.

We can provide guidance where appropriate, and complete the appointments for rabies vaccinations, certification, tapeworm treatments and any other necessary health checks you require.

You must bring all supporting documents and information we request in order to complete these appointments correctly, otherwise we may not be able to provide you with certification.

Back To Top